Do you want to make an impact in polar science education and communication?
Get active in Polar Educators International and the PEI leadership.
Apply to be a part of the PEI Council. The one-year Council term begins 1 June 2017 and we encourage YOU to consider applying for it -- help us shape our organization and the future of polar science education!
To find out more about what the PEI Council does, see the FAQ at the end of this letter. Please pass this along to interested and talented colleagues. Our apologies for cross-postings.
Applications are due Sunday, 30 April 2017
How do you apply for the PEI Council? It’s easy! Please provide:
• Current contact information,
• Brief biography (around 200 words)
• Current picture of yourself (no hat or sunglasses/balaclavas)
• Name and email address of 1 reference
• Let us know if you are interested in sitting on the Executive Committee
• Expression of Interest Letter (around 500 words) explaining the following:
- Why you are interested in PEI and sitting on the Council? This includes any ideas you have for PEI projects, a desire to become more connected to the polar community, ways to improve PEI, and ideas to strengthen and grow the international community of polar educators.
- Any major periods of anticipated future extended absence, such as field work, long vacations, or intense exam periods.
- Your experiences (including previous PEI or other polar education projects) and why you are interested in the Polar Regions.
See the FAQ below for a more detailed description of the application procedure for the PEI Council.
PEI Executive Committee
1. What role will the Council play in PEI?
The Council will be the group of members stepping forward to volunteer their time and talents in a leadership role. These council members will be elected annually and will be responsible for helping to run the organization and set our priorities. These are the folks who help to make the decisions about how PEI works, shape our goals and set objectives to fulfill the overall purpose of our organization. Along with a Secretariat (host), they will help to organize activities for polar educators around the world, shaping the future of PEI as we grow and build our international presence; together they serve as representatives of an international community, maintain our connections with other organizations, and search out new relationships to strengthen our organization; they also help to keep our members updated on new happenings in the polar research and/or education. These are active leaders, representing PEI in many ways, at conferences and meetings, and are recognized by senior leaders in their fields.
2. Who can be a member of the PEI Council?
Any PEI member can become a council member if they are interested in being actively involved in the organization. There are both Organizational and Individual members who follow the same procedure for approval to take a Council position. We encourage partner organizations to forward applicants for the Council.
3. What are the duties & responsibilities of a PEI Council Member?
See the Council Charter here: http://www.polareducator.org/about/council/council-charter
4. What is the application & notification procedure for the PEI Council?
5. What is the timeline for the PEI Council elections?
10 April - solicitation letter sent out
16 May - applicants notified of results and schedule orientation
1 Jun 2017 - 2017 PEI Council begin term with election of Executive Committee
Mid-Jun - Council and Executive Committee Virtual Orientation