Do you want to make an impact in polar science education and communication?
Get active in Polar Educators International and the PEI leadership.
Apply to be a part of the PEI Council. The one-year Council term begins 1 June 2021 and we encourage YOU to consider applying for it — help us shape our organization and the future of polar science education!
PEI Council members benefit from monthly interaction with polar educators and researchers from around the world.
- Help organise engagement activities
- Develop your understanding of the Polar Regions
- Play a key role at the biennial conference in Iceland 2022
- Assist in the development of the new Polar Resource Book
To find out more about what the PEI Council does, see the FAQ at the bottom of this page. If you have any questions about what it means to be a member of the PEI Council, the application process, etc., please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are due 10 May 2021.
Frequently Asked Questions
PEI Council members, elected annually:
- Commit to volunteer their time and talents in a leadership role
- Help to run PEI and set out priorities (according to the Strategic Plan)
- Help to make decisions about PEI’s role, shape its goals, and set objectives to fulfill the overall purpose of PEI
Along with the Executive Committee, PEI Council members as active leaders in their fields, will:
- Help to organize activities for polar educators around the world, in order to build PEI’s international presence and reputation
- Maintain PEI’s connections with other organizations and seek new relationships
- Help to keep PEI members updated on new trends in polar research and/or education
- Represent PEI at conferences and meetings
All PEI members can become council members if they are interested in being actively involved in the organization. There are both Organizational and Individual members who follow the same procedure for approval to take a Council position. We encourage partner organizations to forward applicants for the Council.
PEI Council members commit to attending monthly online council meetings. Please read the PEI Council Charter completely to understand what is expected of Council members.
Applicants should fill out and submit the form on this page. The Executive Committee will coordinate voting. After voting, leadership will contact all applicants with the result of the selection. If the applicant is unsuccessful, the communication will suggest other involvement options. If the application is successful, the communication will contain up-to-date documents, communication and news forums, and all contact information necessary for the new Council member. The term of service on the Council begins on 1 June or the date of notification, whichever is later. The new member will be added to the Council email list, and introduced to membership using the information provided in the application. The Council Member’s interests and current projects will be made available on the PEI website.
Any actively participating member of Council may run for a position on the Executive Committee AFTER they have served on the Council for a term of at least one year in an active role.
- 10 May 2021: applications due
- 15 May 2021: Applicants notified of results and schedule orientation
- 1 June 2021: PEI Council begins term with election of the Executive Committee
- End of June 2021: Council and Executive Committee Virtual Orientation