Exploring the World with Interactive Technologies
Join PEI in a series of four 1-hour professional development and networking taster sessions exploring the polar world through online interactive technologies 12th – 28th August, 2021. Sign up for 1 session or all 4! Details and registration below.
Dig into using Zoom on computer and smart phones for super flexible virtual field trips, then go anywhere you have media for with NearPod! Join Joanna Hubbard, (Middle School Classroom Educator, PAEMST ‘11, AEF ‘15-16 , Anchorage, Alaska, USA) in exploring two technologies:
- Zoom – a free online tool enabling dynamic simultaneous interaction using images, text and sound.
- NearPod – an online tool to create lessons or interactive visits to locations where you have media resources but not hosts.
Use Padlet and Zoom annotate tools to work with scientists in the field using real world data in Virtual Field Labs. Use familiar tools in new ways to add a level of engagement to your classes and presentations, regardless of the number of participants. Louise Huffman (Director of Education and Outreach for the US Ice Drilling Program, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH) and Bill Grosser (Educator, curriculum developer and science communicator, Aurora, CA) will introduce us to two technology tools:
- Virtual Field Labs – a virtual lab enabling teachers and pupils to work with real world data led by scientists in the field and in their labs.
- Padlet – a free online tech tool enabling dynamic simultaneous interaction, providing a work and/or sharing space for virtual workshops, classes and conferences.
During this session, learn how to apply gamification, using Zoom and whiteboards to understand the role of Sustainable Energy Literacy in your day-to-day life and in a green future. Gisele Aruda (Professor of Circumpolar Studies, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland, U.K.) will provide ways to use these two technologies:
- Gamification – a free online tool enabling dynamic simultaneous interaction using images, text and sound.
- Technological Whiteboards
Engage audiences with immersive imagery on computer and phone. Create Zoom & NearPod virtual field trips using H5P to create your own interactive content and 360-degree panoramic images. Chari (Ram) Vijayaraghavan (educator, instructional design and content developer, India) will lead participants in the use of two technology resources used to create interactive educational content:
- H5P – also known as HTML5 Package is used to create, share and reuse interactive content web-based content.
- NearPod – An online toot that supports using 360-degree and pano resources available for teaching/exploration of distant environments.